Studio Codec for Managing 6 Simultaneous Remotes
|Rapidly expand your remote capability with the award winning Merlin PLUS and manage up to 6 bidirectional mono connections with IP codecs or smartphones using Report-IT, saving money on codec hardware costs and reducing studio rack space requirements.||
Merlin PLUS is the ideal 1RU codec for studio installations and offers a simple, compact and scalable solution for managing multiple simultaneous remotes. Use Merlin PLUS for:
- Up to 6 simultaneous bidirectional mono remote connections.
- 2 x Bidirectional mono or stereo remotes, each with separate bidirectional IFB communications channel.
- Streaming multiple algorithms simultaneously at different sample rates and bit-rates over a range of connection transports.
Reliability and Connectivity
Merlin PLUS will connect to all Tieline IP codecs, including G3
codecs, Bridge-IT, the Genie family of codecs and Report-IT
Enterprise smartphone applications. It is designed to connect over
the full suite of wired and wireless IP networks, including:
- Public Wide Area Networks (WANs)
- Private Local Area Networks (LANs)
- 3G and 4G wireless Networks #
- Wi-Fi and WiMAX Networks #
It has dual Gigabit (10/100/1000) onboard Ethernet ports, dual redundant power supplies, audio silence detection and IP network backup solutions to ensure you’re always on the air. An automated network failure detection feature provides switching to a backup IP LAN connection. You can also fail over to backup ISDN or POTS connections as required using optional ISDN or POTS modules.
SmartStream: Rock Solid Audio using Inexpensive IP Links
As an IP audio pioneer, Tieline was the first major codec manufacturer to integrate SmartStream features such as Automated Jitter Buffer management, Forward Error Correction (FEC) and error concealment techniques in all IP codecs. These features dynamically respond to variable conditions over unmanaged IP networks like the public internet to ensure reliable streaming.
Now SmartStream PLUS has revolutionised IP broadcasting by delivering the rock solid and reliable STL-grade audio quality you would expect over a T1/E1 link by using inexpensive unmanaged IP networks like the internet for STLs, audio distribution and remotes
Money Now with SmartStream PLUS
Tieline can show you how an investment in new codecs will pay for itself in just a few months by using SmartStream PLUS over inexpensive IP links to transport STL-grade, high fidelity audio at a fraction of the cost of synchronous leased lines. With SmartStream PLUS:
The codec can stream simultaneous redundant data streams from both Ethernet ports and deliver seamless redundancy by switching back and forth, without loss of audio, from the nominated primary data link to the backup link if one fails and then subsequently recovers. Note: Use IP links from two different IP network providers for optimal redundancy over mission critical connections.
When multiple redundant audio streams are sent, the decoding codec automatically reconstructs audio into a perfect single stream on a first packet arrived basis to ensure audio integrity.
These combined measures ensure Tieline is capable of offering an IP solution, in which the payload capability of your network infrastructure is the only limitation to successfully distributing, reliable, high fidelity IP audio across broadcast networks.
SmartStream IP Delivers ...
Some other manufacturers charge thousands of dollars for IP management software like SmartStream as if it's an optional extra, however Tieline believes high performance and rock-solid reliability is an essential part of each and every broadcast, and therefore delivers its renowned SmartStream IP management software for free.
SmartStream PLUS delivers an additional layer of mission critical redundancy and is available as standard in Tieline's Merlin PLUS
Flexibility and Interoperability
Tieline G5 ISDN module
Many broadcast networks are transitioning to IP but still require connectivity over ISDN or POTS. Tieline Merlin PLUS codecs deliver flexibility by allowing you to connect over ISDN, POTS or IP networks as required. Simply purchase optional ISDN G5 or POTS G5 modules, insert them in the codec and you are ready to connect over ISDN, POTS or IP on demand. Click here to learn more about Tieline ISDN options.
Merlin PLUS supports both IPv4 and IPv6 (Dual Stack) protocols, so broadcasters can be assured that they have made a smart investment for the future as new networks and technologies emerge over time.
Connect over IP with any SIP-enabled IP codec brand that supports the EBU N/ACIP tech 3326 standard, as well as VoIP telephone devices supporting G.711 and G.722. Merlin PLUS is also compliant with I3P EBU334 requirements for interoperability of AoIP production intercoms.
Merlin PLUS is capable of 16-24bit 22kHz low latency linear PCM audio at up to 48kHz sampling and features aptX® Enhanced, LC-AAC, HE-AAC v1 and v2, AAC-LD, AAC-ELDv1 and v2, Opus, MPEG II, MPEG Layer-3, Tieline Music and MusicPLUS, G.722 and G.711 algorithms. Merlin PLUS supports up to 6 simultaneous streams of Opus encoding.
Asymmetric encoding and decoding* lets you send high quality audio in one direction and save on data by sending low bandwidth comms or program on the return channel.
How to Create 6 Simultaneous Bidirectional Remotes
# Requires 3rd party device * Feature not available in the first release.
- DSP based architecture
- 24 Bit 48kHz audio sampling
- Dual 1 Gig (10/100/1000) Ethernet ports
- Dual redundant AC power supplies
- User programmable matrix audio mixer for bidirectional stereo program, plus low latency IFB and full duplex communications*
- Uncompressed PCM audio plus algorithms including aptX® Enhanced; LC-AAC, HE-AAC v1 and v2, AAC-LD, AAC-ELDv1 and v2, Opus, MPEG II, MPEG Layer-3, Tieline Music and MusicPLUS, G.722 and G.711
- Supports up to 6 simultaneous streams of Opus encoding.
- IPv4 & IPv6 compatible
- DB-25 Audio Expansion Connector for an additional 4 channels in/out
- Asymmetric algorithmic encode/decode*
- Integrated alarm management
- G5 Toolbox GUI enables remote codec control over WANs
- Codec Management System compatible for codec network management
- Low latency in-band RS-232 aux data channel
- Programmable rules engine
- Streamlined codec wizards and graphical user interface
- Support for multiple languages*: English, Chinese, French, German, Portuguese and Spanish
- Connect to all Tieline IP codecs and Report-IT Live Enterprise Edition
*Supported in later releases.
MPEG Layer-3 audio coding technology licensed from Fraunhofer IIS and Thomson Licensing.